Sustainability & Social Responsibility
Canterbury Coffee is a Canadian-owned and operated business. We consider it our “business” to preserve the earth, ensure that we are responsible citizens, good neighbours, and leave the world better than we found it.
We believe that being “green” is neither a trend nor a fad; it’s a philosophy and way of life. And it is necessary. As a company, we look for innovative yet often simple, daily practices we can adopt to recycle, reduce, and reuse. Here are some ways we are trying to make the world a little "greener."
What we are doing
- Adding thermal oxidizers to our roasting plant to reduce emisions and odour.
- Adopting the CHEP pallet exchange program which reuses pallets saving thousands of trees per year.
- Composting chaff, a byproduct of the roasting process that is normally discarded in landfills.
- Upcycling burlap sacks for use in the forest and landscaping industries.
- Taking a lead position in the industry by developing sustainable packaging such as: biodegradable film, compostable plastics and FSC certified paperboard and corrugate.
- Using only organic cotton, North American made textiles for our corporate apparel
- Adding more fuel-efficient vehicles to our fleet of service and delivery vehicles
What this means
In the last two years, these initiatives (and others) have enabled us to reduce the amount of waste destined to the landfill by over 50%, which we are truly proud of. We hope to make even greater strides towards reducing our footprint on the earth.