After Each Use
- Open the steam wand to blow out residual milk.
- Wipe the steam wand with a damp cloth.
- Wipe or flush residual grinds from the brew head (screen).
- Rinse the brew handle and reinsert into the brew head to keep it warm.
- Backwash all brewing groups with a blind filter and espresso cleaner.
- Brew and discard a single espresso to re-season the machine.
- Remove drip tray and grid and clean both thoroughly.
- Remove metal filters from the portafilter handles, and clean filter handles and filters thoroughly. Rinse well.
- Wipe all grounds from metal diffuser screens inside the brewing group.
- Wipe all surfaces clean, including work areas.
- If a build up of milk is present on the steam wands at the end of the day, soak them in a mixture of milk cleaner and hot water until the build up can be wiped off.
- Vent the hot water spout to help prevent calcium build-up.
- Wash steaming pitchers, stainless steel spoons, brew handles and brew filters with cleaner, according to instructions on the label.
- Wipe down the grinder with a bar towel and a soft brush.
- Hand wash the tamper daily, removing any espresso grinds.
- Empty and rinse out the used grounds in the knockbox.
- Wipe down the coffee machine, remove the spray head area and clean it with a damp cloth.
- Wash out the brew baskets in warm soapy water and rinse well.
- Clean the inside of satellite shuttles with a scrub pad/brush and baking soda. The outside can be wiped down with a soft cloth. NOTE: Do not use cleaning products such as fantastik®, Comet®, etc.
Weekly Cleaning Procedures
- To clean the espresso machine, place espresso cleaner into the portafilter and backflush with hot water. Use cleaner on the dispersion screens, valves, brewing passages and jets. Backflushing should take 30 seconds. Repeat five times until the water becomes clear. This should be done twice a week.
- Unscrew the brew head screens from each brewing group and let them soak in a solution of espresso cleaner and water, according to the instructions on the label. Rinse well and screw back on very securely.
- Check dates on water filters and softeners regularly, and change every six months.
- Clean the hopper and lids of the grinder with a soft brush by hand. These can be wiped out weekly with a damp cloth.
- Soak the inside of the satellite shuttles with urn cleaner.
- Wash brew baskets, remove inserts, and clean the interior.